NetworkManager nm-applet for initiating OpenVPN client connections on a Proxmox workstation?

Colin 't Hart

Jan 20, 2017
Frösön, Sweden
www.hiawathaavenue.com
I use Proxmox as an XFCE-based workstation, following these instructions: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11

I need to be able to connect to an OpenVPN server with TOTP or Yubikey authentication so I'd like to be able to use the GUI to connect.
I installed the following packages:
  • network-manager
  • network-manager-gnome
  • network-manager-openvpn
  • network-manager-openvpn-gnome
  • openvpn
nm-applet starts on login, and I'm able to create an OpenVPN configuration.

However, when I want to activate the connection, the configuration is greyed out and can't be clicked.

I have had this working previously (I think it was on Proxmox 6.x) , just not on this new install (8.2).

Anyone any ideas how I can get this to work?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!