Network UPS Tools (NUT) as Ubuntu 22.04 LXC Container

heywhatsup1235

Jul 21, 2024
I wanted to setup an LXC Container to support 3 different UPS devices that control different systems. The end goal was to monitor these in Home Assistant for notifications and easy review. I ran into some issues and I'm sure there are better ways to do this but this is what I found worked. Network UPS Tools (NUT) configuration credit goes to: https://www.kreaweb.be/diy-home-server-2021-software-proxmox-ups/#a_Create_LXC_container

I created an LXC Container using the following settings:
ubuntu-22.04
Privileged - true

You need to find the Bus and Device # of the APC USB in order to passthrough to the container.

On the proxmox host, run:
lsusb​

Log the Bus # and Device #.
In my case it was "Bus 001 Device 013"

In LXC settings, go to resources and click "Add" -> "Device Passthrough" and enter the path by including the bus and device number from the host console.
Using the template: "/dev/bus/usb/{BUS#}/{Device#}" enter the bus and device from the host. In my case it was: "/dev/bus/usb/001/013"

Start the container and log in as root.

Run the following commands:
apt-get update​
apt-get upgrade​
apt install nut -y​

After the install completes, run the nut-scanner command to output the UPS info and confirm that that USB passthrough is working correctly:
nut-scanner -U​

Next, setup the configuration files. Here is the bare minimum needed for this to work:
nano /etc/nut/nut.conf​
MODE=netserver​
Using info from nut-scanner -U, highlighted in bold:

nano /etc/nut/ups.conf​
pollinterval = 15​
maxretry = 3​
[apc]​
# APC Back-UPS​
#nut-scanner: Enter the driver name​
driver = usbhid-ups
port = auto​
desc = "APC Back-UPS"​
#nut-scanner: Enter the vendorid, productid, and serial from the output​
vendorid = 051D
productid = 0002
serial = xxxxxxxxxxxx

Save the changes and run this command to check the config:
upsdrvctl start​

Mine returned the error:
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4​
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)​
USB communication driver 0.33​
No matching HID UPS found​
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)​

I found that adding nut to the root group resolved it. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this but I could not find any.
adduser nut root​

Re-running this command again showed a successful connection without error:
upsdrvctl start​
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4​
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)​
USB communication driver 0.33​
Using subdriver: APC HID 0.96​

Continue setting up the nut configuration.
nano /etc/nut/upsd.conf​
LISTEN 0.0.0.0 3493​
LISTEN :: 3493​

nano /etc/nut/upsd.users​
[upsadmin]​
# Administrative user​
password = ********​
actions = SET​
actions = FSD​
instcmds = ALL​
upsmon master​
[upsuser]​
# Normal user​
password = ********​
upsmon slave​

After that, reboot container.

Running this command should return battery details. Use the template {APCNAME}@{MACHINENAME} where the {APCNAME} comes from the name used in ups.config.
upsc apc@localhost

That should return details from the UPS. To add multiple, just include those in the container passthrough devices and edit the config to include the additional UPS details.

Hopefully this helps someone else but I'm no expert here and I'm open to any feedback!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!