Network Problem with UniFi

oSIRus

Aug 24, 2024
Hi all,

I've got Proxmox set up for the first time and installed a Home Assistant VM.

My network setup is a UDM-SE (Gateway) with an AP connected via cable to it and 2 meshed APs.

Problem is from within Proxmox or Home Assistant I can only ping devices connected directly (via cable) to the Gateway (also the gateway itself and every external IP or domain) but not devices connected to the APs.

Since I can ping these devices from a meshed AP when I SSH into it, it's probably a problem within proxmox.

What could be the problem?

Thanks
oSIRus

No, it does not. But now I changed the MAC-address of my Home Assistant VM and now it works! Might have been blocked somehow, don't know. The Proxmox machine still can't ping those devices though (can't change the MAC-address there, or can I?).

Thanks anyway

Last edited:
Maybe you are encroaching on the gateway's DHCP range and it is blocking the "rouge" device.
Hm, not entirely sure what you mean. My DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.10. Proxmox is at 192.168.1.5 and the HA VM is at 192.168.1.9. Could this be the problem? Like too many devices outside the DHCP-Range?

Last edited:
If it starts at 10 (and goes up I presume?) and you are using 5 and 9 that should be fine. The fact that changing the MAC made it work (and stay working?) points to something blocking it, a firewall or intrusion detection software, or maybe an IP or MAC conflict.

I'm also assuming that the PVE host and the VM are both using the same netmask, mtu, gateway, etc.

Reactions: oSIRus
I'm also assuming that the PVE host and the VM are both using the same netmask, mtu, gateway, etc.
Yes they are. Maybe during setting up the VM has the same IP or MAC as Proxmox for a short moment and the UniFi Gateway blocks it? I asked in the UniFi forum where I could unblock blocked devices because I can't find it in UniFi Network.

Anyway thank you very much for pointing me into the right direction.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!