network not working in AQC107 after kernel upgrade

yuri1312

Feb 22, 2023
hi,

I have a couple of proxmox nodes on my network, one running an AQC107 over thunderbolt 3, another running an AQC113 over an m.2 interface.
After upgrading both these nodes to the latest kernel version (6.8.8-1) and restarting, the AQC107 node won't ever connect to my network, while the node running the AQC113 works fine (relevant, as both run the same kernel module). Rolling back to 6.8.4-3 solves it, but is not ideal.
Already checked and the interface ids are the same as before in the 107 node, so no configuration change on /etc/network/interfaces is required. Checking on "ip a" the interface always shows as down after rebooting the node (and the status and link LEDs are off on the card enclosure). Tried forcing the interface to go up, which does light up the LEDs, but basic ping commands still won't work (I see TX activity in the network counters, but RX always stays at 0).

Any idea what could be causing this? I already checked the aquantia/atlantic driver logs in the kernel's git repo and there haven't been any changes in the driver between 6.8.4 and 6.8.8 (though it might be related with some dependency it has or some change in proxmox's kernel fork).

thanks!

I have the same issue on both an Intel and on a Ryzen mini PC with thunderbolt. On the new kernel (6.8.8) the Thunderbolt network adapter doesn't work, on kernel 6.8.4 it does work.
On both the 6.8.8 and the 6.8.4 I see the following in dmesg:

Code:
thunderbolt 0-1: new device found, vendor=0x5a device=0xde35
thunderbolt 0-1: Other World Computing Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter

But on the 6.8.8 kernel I see the following:

Code:
atlantic: Bad FW version detected: ffffffff
atlantic: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -95

So it looks like something broke with the firmware detection?

Anyway, for now I reverted back to 6.8.4 and everything works.

I have the same issue on both an Intel and on a Ryzen mini PC with thunderbolt. On the new kernel (6.8.8) the Thunderbolt network adapter doesn't work, on kernel 6.8.4 it does work.
On both the 6.8.8 and the 6.8.4 I see the following in dmesg:

Code:
thunderbolt 0-1: new device found, vendor=0x5a device=0xde35
thunderbolt 0-1: Other World Computing Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter

But on the 6.8.8 kernel I see the following:

Code:
atlantic: Bad FW version detected: ffffffff
atlantic: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -95

So it looks like something broke with the firmware detection?

Anyway, for now I reverted back to 6.8.4 and everything works.
yep, I'm seeing the same bad FW version issue in dmesg on 6.8.8 with the same error -95.

check this post: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...-remove-proxmox-ve-package.149101/post-675448

Adding that kernel parameter to my systemd-boot config fixed the issue.
I had to create forum account to say Thank You!!!

I was struggling with this all day, booting into 6.8.4 worked but 6.8.8 would freeze on boot for a minute or two and boot with no network adapter.

I just upgraded kernel to 6.8.8 today and my x710 via thunderbolt stopped working putting the dmesg output incase it helps someone find this answer : "i40e <pci-id> eeprom check failed (-5). Tx/Rx traffic is disabled"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!