[SOLVED] Network issue - Help

curiouscase

Jul 20, 2024
I will start by mentioning a few things. I have no experience with networking, servers, etc. but just started doing a few things as a hobby. Also, I have no clue on how to use Linux/Debian as I have always used Windows.
Reading things on Reddit pushed me to use an old HP desktop I had as a Proxmox VE machine. I successfully set up a few different VMs and also started using dockers on one of them. Everything was working well.
This morning I started setting up NetAlertX using a docker. It was up but the eth0 was not displaying anything so based on what I read online I enabled a passthrough for PCI ethernet port for the VM on which docker was running. I rebooted my Proxmox machine and I was not able to get the proxmox web interface back up. It showed "This site can’t be reached" I went back to my PC and connected a monitor to it to see if there was any issue with booting. The system is booting fine but it seems it is not connecting to the internet. I searched solutions and I saw someone mentioned to check if internet was enabled using systemctl is-enabled networking. I tried that and it was showing enabled. I rebooted my system and then as the system just booted I tried connecting to the proxmox interface page using the browser. For a brief second, I was greeted by the page saying that it was unsafe to proceed yada yada but when I proceeded it again went to show "This site can’t be reached".

I did try the networking interface details and they do look fine:
interface.jpg

I also read some threads to check the network using commands like ip a and nmap. I am attaching the results here though I do not know how to interpret them.
ip a.jpg

nmap.jpg
I also generated a journal.txt file using journalctl -b > journal.txt but as I do not much about these terminal commands, I do not know how to copy that file from my proxmox system to a USB to post here.

Something tells me it's a minor issue that should be fixed easily. Please help me fix it.

Looking at the screenshot, it looks like the device it used to connect to the network with is gone (but used to be there, given the skipped order-number in the ip a command).
Is this VM/Container that you set up passthrough to set up as auto-start?
Cause if so, you might have just set it up to pass-through your entire ethernet-device, which you WERE using to connect to your proxmox-server to.
If that is the case, first try using "nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VM-number>.conf" to open the config with nano and disabling the onboot option by setting it to a 0 and then rebooting the server again.
if you don't remember what VM-number it was, try using "qm list", if you can't edit the file, try running "qm stop <VMID>" to stop/kill the VM (you could also try running this first and seeing if the network comes back to you, but I kind of doubt it)

EDIT: Also, in case that wasn't clear during your investigation: If you pass-through a device, it is no longer usable for Proxmox itself or any other VM's / Devices, like you unplugged it from your system and then plugged it "directly" into the VM itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: curiouscase
Looking at the screenshot, it looks like the device it used to connect to the network with is gone (but used to be there, given the skipped order-number in the ip a command).
Is this VM/Container that you set up passthrough to set up as auto-start?
Cause if so, you might have just set it up to pass-through your entire ethernet-device, which you WERE using to connect to your proxmox-server to.
If that is the case, first try using "nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VM-number>.conf" to open the config with nano and disabling the onboot option by setting it to a 0 and then rebooting the server again.
if you don't remember what VM-number it was, try using "qm list", if you can't edit the file, try running "qm stop <VMID>" to stop/kill the VM (you could also try running this first and seeing if the network comes back to you, but I kind of doubt it)

EDIT: Also, in case that wasn't clear during your investigation: If you pass-through a device, it is no longer usable for Proxmox itself or any other VM's / Devices, like you unplugged it from your system and then plugged it "directly" into the VM itself.
Thanks! I came here to post an update.SO last night I thought I would start from scratch and reinstall. When I put in my USB I saw an option with "Advanced Option" and I went ahead and found "Rescue Boot" option. Tried that and it fixed my issue. I did lose 4 of my 6 VMs though as they were not booting, but those were all my experimental VMs. Luckily the 2 Dietpi's that survived were the ones I was most concerned about.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!