Network interface setup recommendation

ppktm

Mar 14, 2024
Hi,
I have two 10G switches (stacked) and three server nodes. Each server has 4 ports (2x1G , 2x10G). Right now everything (management, migration, storage) is on 2x10G ports (lacp). Is it recommended to move management to 2x1G ports and separate management from storage traffic? Asking this since I have only 2 switches and I also have to connect the 1Gb ports to the same switches. Any benefit ?

Thanks in advance
ppktm

Hey,

you could use your 2x1G uplinks separated - one for mgmt and one for migration. The 2x10G as lcap for your storage. This depends if it's your homelab or your enterprise/production environment. If it's a production environment I highly recommend you to buy a PCIe NIC with 10G for migration and storage.

Or what are your thoughts?

Best

Its production. Just wanted to check if separating nic ports for manage,ent have any benefits since they are also going to the same switches.

Thanks
ppktm

Depends on your production environment - it's always a good idea to have redundant uplinks in case one of them are going offline unexpectedly and separated networks for your workloads.

MGMT, Migration, Storage so that you can achieve optimal performance and worry less about drops.

Best

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!