Network Interface Question

fals3illusion

Oct 16, 2023
I upgraded my PVE server today and it did that thing where it upgraded and changed the interface name. it changed from enp14s0f0np0 TO enp13s0f0np0 . When logging in my PiKVM and trying to check and change what my interface changed to I couldnt see the screen because there were so many different interfaces and could not scroll up on the page with Shift+PageUp or anyhting.

When I used ip a to check the interfaces there were a total of 52 interfaces, but I only have 3 physical interfaces..

There were a bunch of veth100i0@if2. (Which I found out was virtual interface for my LXC's)
There were a bunch of tap111i0 (Which I found out was my virtual interface for my VM's)

2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master bond0 state UP group default qlen
3: enp13s0f0np0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default
4: enp13s0f1np1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state DOWN group

Is there a way to see all of my PHYSICAL INTERFACE names only?

Is there a way I can link these names to conistantly stay the same?

Thanks for any help!

I upgraded my PVE server today and it did that thing where it upgraded and changed the interface name. it changed from enp14s0f0np0 TO enp13s0f0np0 . When logging in my PiKVM and trying to check and change what my interface changed to I couldnt see the screen because there were so many different interfaces and could not scroll up on the page with Shift+PageUp or anyhting.

When I used ip a to check the interfaces there were a total of 52 interfaces, but I only have 3 physical interfaces..

There were a bunch of veth100i0@if2. (Which I found out was virtual interface for my LXC's)
There were a bunch of tap111i0 (Which I found out was my virtual interface for my VM's)
You could pipe the output to a reader like less, so you can scroll: ip a | less
Or you could use one of the modifiers shown in man ip, like ip -br a.

Is there a way to see all of my PHYSICAL INTERFACE names only?
I dont know if there is a way to show the physical interfaces only, but according to the docs the Ethernet devices always start with 'en' or 'eth'. So you could grep for lines that start with one of those two keywords:
Bash:
ip -br a | grep -E '^en.*|^eth.*'

Is there a way I can link these names to conistantly stay the same?
You can configure a systemd link file that assigns the name according to the MAC address, as shown in "Overriding network device name" here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_naming_conventions

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!