Network Interface Detection

Pramod_D

Sep 18, 2024
Hi,

I am using the Proxmox VE Hypervisor from past a week. Connected to the Proxmox using the web interface using 8006.
My issue is as follows, after the VM creation while doing configuration of the VM I am being displayed with network interface "enp6s18" as shown in below image
IMG_20240918_191249.jpg
but it is not displayed in the list of available network interfaces as attached in the below imageScreenshot 2024-09-19 152248.png
So I need help to resolve this.

You are inside the VM. It has it own naming convention, resulting in enp6s18 in this case. It can not (and should not!) know how the NICs are named outside of its box...
Thanks for your response.
Is it possible to resolve the mentioned issue - available network interfaces are not visible?

available network interfaces are not visible?
To give a VM a network interface you go to <your vm> --> Hardware --> Add (drop down menu) --> Network device. You can add zero, one or several of them. You also specify which bridge (vmbr0, vmbr1 etc) this interface shall be connected to.

These interfaces are then visible inside the VM... with a completely independent naming scheme.

Those bridges are configured on the host. See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_default_configuration_using_a_bridge for an example.

Obviously you did this once for vmbr0 - or the enp6s18 would not be visible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!