network card drop, igc 0000:09:00.0 eno1: PCIE link lost

hashacki

Nov 7, 2022
Hello everyone,

I am coming to you today because I am really troubled. Completely randomly, I have this error message: igc 0000:09:00.0 eno1: PCIE link ost igc failed to read reg 0xc030!

I have tried a lot of things:

• Change ethernet cable
  • Change switch
  • Downgrade my BIOS (0611 0705 and 0805)
  • Test 3 versions of proxmox: 6.4-1 7.2 and 7.3-4
  • I added this parameter to the grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_port_pm=off pcie_aspm.policy=performance"
Unless I missed something, in the BIOS, there is no network card standby or different types of performance.
I have the feeling that it is not the right "network driver", but it exceeds my skills.

A hardware point:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
  • SSD: Kingston KC3000 512 Go (*2 with ZFS RAID 1)
  • RAM: G.Skill RipJaws S5 Low Profile 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) DDR5 5600 MHz CL30
Do you have a solution for me or a clue to give me?

Thank you for reading me and thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I just had a nearly identical problem. It's a new server I'm setting up. Clean install of the latest Proxmox VE with the latest no-subscription updates. The server was powered on, but not really doing anything. I lost network connectivity to it and found the following on the server screen.

[ 8166.094987] igb 0000:03:00.0 eno1: PCIe link lost
[ 8297.261277] igb 0000:03:00.1 eno2: PCIe link lost

Im using a Supermicro X10DRI motherboard (using i350 gigabit NICs)

The only thing I did with it today was install an NVME drive on an PCI x16 card, which required the slot to be bifurcated. Rebooting fixed the issue for now, but I don't feel I can trust this thing.

[UPDATE} Possible solution
This may be a power management issue on the NIC. It seems to be similar to other issues reported on various internet sites.

From Reddit:
We can disable power management on the PCIe entirely with pcie_port_pm=off

In the file /etc/default/grub, line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT we can add pcie_port_pm=off and then run update-grub to rebuild the boot config.

Last edited:
With (again?!) on PVE 7, you could try a newer kernel: [1].

Otherwise I have no idea, sorry.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-1-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.119483
i will try, thanks
I just had a nearly identical problem. It's a new server I'm setting up. Clean install of the latest Proxmox VE with the latest no-subscription updates. The server was powered on, but not really doing anything. I lost network connectivity to it and found the following on the server screen.

[ 8166.094987] igb 0000:03:00.0 eno1: PCIe link lost
[ 8297.261277] igb 0000:03:00.1 eno2: PCIe link lost

Im using a Supermicro X10DRI motherboard (using i350 gigabit NICs)

The only thing I did with it today was install an NVME drive on an PCI x16 card, which required the slot to be bifurcated. Rebooting fixed the issue for now, but I don't feel I can trust this thing.

[UPDATE} Possible solution
This may be a power management issue on the NIC. It seems to be similar to other issues reported on various internet sites.

From Reddit:
We can disable power management on the PCIe entirely with pcie_port_pm=off

In the file /etc/default/grub, line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT we can add pcie_port_pm=off and then run update-grub to rebuild the boot config.
I do'nt understand why you change the emplacement.

And from REDDIT if you look the topic and mine, he try to add the power management and it doesn't work. Topic was solved but a update say that it's doesn't work

Last edited:
I've tried the 5.15 kernel driver:
root@pve:~# ethtool -i eno1
driver: igb
version: 5.15.83-1-pve
firmware-version: 1.63, 0x80000a05
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

I've tried the 6.1 kernel driver:
version: 6.1.2-1-pve
expansion-rom-version:

Now I'm trying the most recent driver on Intel's website:
version: 5.13.7
expansion-rom-version:
supports-priv-flags: no

I will update if the problem continues......

I've tried the 5.15 kernel driver:
version: 5.15.83-1-pve
expansion-rom-version:

I've tried the 6.1 kernel driver:
version: 6.1.2-1-pve
expansion-rom-version:

Now I'm trying the most recent driver on Intel's website:
version: 5.13.7
expansion-rom-version:
supports-priv-flags: no

I will update if the problem continues......
I'm comfortable saying the new driver resolved this issue. Loading the driver is a bit of a hassle, but here's how I did it.

Download latest driver (5.13.7) from Intel's website.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/14098/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-82575-6-82580-i350-and-i210-211-based-gigabit-network-connections-for-linux.html

Create a directory called IGB in the Proxmox /root directory.
Place the downloaded tar in /root/IGB

Prep system to build driver.
apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) apt-get install gcc make ethtool

Ethtool will show current driver.
root@pve:~# ethtool -i eno1 driver: igb version: 6.1.2-1-pve firmware-version: 1.63, 0x80000a05 expansion-rom-version: bus-info: 0000:04:00.0 supports-statistics: yes supports-test: yes supports-eeprom-access: yes supports-register-dump: yes supports-priv-flags: yes

Extract tar file.
tar zxf igb-5.13.7.tar.gz

CD into 'src' directory.
cd igb-5.13.7/src/

To avoid build errors, edit 'igb_main.c', use nano or whatever you prefer.
Locate line 1145
Near the end of the line will be "igb_poll, 64);"
Edit the line as such "igb_poll);"

Save igb_main.c
Now it will be ready to build.

make install

Reboot, and ethtool should show the new driver.
root@pve:~# ethtool -i eno1 driver: igb version: 5.13.7 firmware-version: 1.63, 0x80000a05 expansion-rom-version: bus-info: 0000:04:00.0 supports-statistics: yes supports-test: yes supports-eeprom-access: yes supports-register-dump: yes supports-priv-flags: no root@pve:~#

Hi, thanks for this answer. I try this and test.
I will respond in a week if there hasn't been a drop to confirm that this solution works.

It looks like your motherboard uses the I225 networking device. Googleing that doesn't lead to much linux info.

Sounds good, I don't really compile things very often. I'm going to reinstall with the 5.13 kernel.
Hi, i've try to reinstall with the 5.13 kernel and newtork card was drop after 2days...

Hello, friends.

Got stuck with the same problem.
The only thing is not on proxmox. But I think it will be the same for everyone.
At the moment I have tried different versions of linux kernels, from 5.18 to 6.2.0rc*, the problem persists everywhere.

I noticed that the problem is less pronounced when you limit the connection speed to 100Mbps

Tell me, did rebuilding the Intel driver from source code help?

Hello, friends.

Got stuck with the same problem.
The only thing is not on proxmox. But I think it will be the same for everyone.
At the moment I have tried different versions of linux kernels, from 5.18 to 6.2.0rc*, the problem persists everywhere.

I noticed that the problem is less pronounced when you limit the connection speed to 100Mbps

Tell me, did rebuilding the Intel driver from source code help?
I've not had a repeat of the issue since I rebuilt the intel driver. However, I am using a different network adapter than hashacki.

I've not had a repeat of the issue since I rebuilt the intel driver. However, I am using a different network adapter than hashacki.
Yes, I'm more interested in whether hashacki was able to solve the problem, because I have the same motherboard and processor.

Hi, look my first post i've try to do this.... but thank you

I've see too after launch a VM, one hour after, network card drop. I d'ont understand where i can find a problem/solution

Last edited:
hi,

I tried to check in the grub if the network card sleep settings were being properly applied. It turned out they were not. Actually, the boot file is not in /etc/default/grub, and Proxmox does not support it. However, it does support the cmdline file located in /etc/kernel/cmdline. I added the parameters quiet splash pcie_port_pm=off pcie_aspm.policy and amd_iommu=on iommu=pt. After two days, I experienced a new drop and a new error: igc 0000:08:00.0 eno1: PCIE link lost, not igc 0000:09:00.0 eno1: PCIE link lost.

Hello, have you found a solution to this problem? I have the same problem and I can't solve it. I'm using proxmox 8.03 on a bee-link SER 6 MAX mini pc. Anyone can help me please ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!