Nested virtualization bricks Windows guests

branpurn

Feb 22, 2023
Proxmox 8

Following the wiki documentation here: `https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization`

This should work, based on the note here: `Note: Microsoft Hyper-V as a nested Hypervisor on AMD CPUs should work with Proxmox VE 7.`

Unfortunately, after installing Windows `Virtual Machine Platform` and other prerequisites for Windows Subsystem for Linux, the system becomes no longer bootable, failing shortly after UEFI hand-off.

Anyone else have similar experience with this?

Almost a year late but I'm dealing with this right now on a Windows Server 2022 VM running on a Proxmox 8.1.11 host. The host has an Intel CPU and I have nested virtualization enabled. On the same host I'm running linux containers in an Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS VM.

Code:
cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
Y

The processor type on the ubuntu and windows VMs are both "host", and I've tried with hv-evmcs set to both "default" and "on" with no change.

I have the virtio drivers and QEMU guest agent installed, and have seen the same issue with and without them.

Code:
# This doesn't break the Windows boot process
Install-WindowsFeature -Name Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

# But this does
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform -Online

# And so does this
Install-WindowsFeature -Name Hyper-V -IncludeAllSubFeature -IncludeManagementTools -Restart

# Some folks have posted that WSL worked after enabling these features and they reference using the dism CLI.
# There shouldn't be a difference enabling the features using PowerShell cmdlets vs dism but just in case there
# is, I tried these too with the same result.
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart

# I also came across someone on reddit recommending this but it didn't help either
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

1713890522100.png

Last edited:
I noticed that my Ubuntu VM used SeaBIOS while my Windows VM used OVMF so I spun up a new Windows Server 2022 VM using SeaBIOS and the result is the same. The only difference is when the VM hangs during boot, the splash screen looks like this instead.

1713893304560.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!