need help logging in noob here

Jun 14, 2024
hello all, im kinda new to proxmox and servers. i have proxmox going but on my roommate network, i wanted to separate it from his so i got a tp link router and switch. i tried changing the ips, but quickly failed. i think its my switch holding me up (its not yet config trying to learn). so do i need to do something to my switch?
router tp-link ax1800
switch 24 port tp-link TL-SG1024DE
my DMZ (zone) is a 5 port linksys

again i had proxmox running before i built my own network

Last edited:
If you have not configured anything on either of the switches, they should not block anything.
That said though, if you want to be really sure, you can also connect your PC/Laptop that you are using to configure directly in the PC/Server that is running ProxMox with no switch in-between. In the past you used to need a cross-cable for that (a network cable with some of the fibres switched around) but nowadays 99% of the Ethernet-adaptors can do that themselves). You can then make sure all settings are correct, before step-by-step hooking things back up and seeing where things break.

If you need/want more help, we'll need a bit more info, among which:
  • Where is proxmox running on?
  • What are you configuring proxmox on (the console of proxmox, some other PC/Laptop connected with ethernet, some device over wifi.)
  • What exactly doesn't work? Reaching the IP from outside the server, reaching the internet, getting updates, etc.)
Also try to provide the results of the following commands on proxmox

Code:
ip a
cat /etc/network/interfaces

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!