Need help for pmg and iredmail use case

a.dimitrov

Mar 3, 2021
Hello people. I would like to ask something very basic, which I fail to understand well, and I hope you will help me. I think it would be very nice if what I ask you finds application in the technical documentation.

My configuration is as follows I have proxmox and iredmail.
The things I did
- port 25 (no dns record)
* 25 port is open on the firewall
* redirect all requests that arrive at 25 and they go to proxmox gw
- port 587 (smtp - has dns record)
* port 587 is open on the firewall in two directions
* smtp-record is set for all e-mail clients for outgoing connections (the dns record does point directly to iredmail)
- ports 110,143, etc. (client-iredmail communication)
* 110,143 ports are open on the firewall, etc.
* imap-record or pop3-record is set for all e-mail clients for incoming connections (entries point directly to iredmail)
Are these settings is correct or i had a mistake?

It will help many people with less knowledge (like me) if you do a few examples of what is expected to be set up in case we want to use a proxmox to filter only incoming mail and in case we want to we also use it for an output filter. I mean these and these ports is need to point to mail server, these settings are for incoming mail connections and set on client, these is for outgoing. Just a few "use case scenario" will be superb from user point of view.
Thanks in advance and sorry for mine maybe stupid questions

I would do the following for inbound scanning:
* forward all traffic arriving on port 25 of your firewall to PMG
* configure PMG to have a transport (or default relay) pointing to your iredmail port 25
* add your domains to PMG

for outbound scanning:
* configure your iredmail to send all mail via PMG port 26 (set this as smart host

PMG is not meant to deal with client traffic (no imap/pop and also no SMTPAUTH on port 587 ) - let those still connect to iredmail directly

I hope this helps!

Reactions: a.dimitrov
That's still a while in the future with the current situation :/ - but glad that helped :)

Only one clarification about: " all mail via PMG port 26 (set this as smart host)"
How to do that? Just check smarthost on relaying menu?

Attachments

• smarthost.jpg
    smarthost.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 34
sorry - did not explain that clearly - for outbound scanning you need to configure pmg's hostname and port 26 _on iredmail_
(iredmail needs to use pmg as smarthost)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!