Need advice on backups for my homelab running proxmox

tetsujin

Mar 13, 2021
I have my dell server running proxmox with only a few containers. The biggest thing is my 60TB zpool of plex media. I want to have a good backup routine with this so I can not worry about the data. I have some options and I can't decide and all my research on this sub and the forum hasn't helped me make a decision.
Notes: I have a Dell enclosure that will house my 60TB pool that is just meant to backup the main pool.
1) I create a 2nd 60TB zpool and do some kind of zfs send and receive routine
-- I don't know about this option just because it seems pretty universal that everyone says use PBS because of how great it is. Especially since it has a nice GUI to do everything.
2) I create a VM on my dell server and run PBS. Give it this new 60TB zpool and do backups this way
-- Some people seem to do this without issue and is my favorite option so far. People say but if your main server goes down then you lose everything. But will I if my backup 60TB is in its own zpool then I can just restore it couldn't I? Especially since it's in its own enclosure. Plus with PBS I get the nice gui to do everything.
3) Install PBS on some old hardware I have and run it as a 2nd machine that will get that 60TB pool and do backups this way
-- I don't like this option just because even though I am on 10GB network I feel like its slower and with this option I have to run a 2nd machine which increases heat and power in my apartment so this is kinda last resort.
Bonus Questions:
I read today that if I run my stuff in a container the backups will take longer because it has to reread the bitmap everytime. Is this true? Should I be migrating my plex server to a VM instead of a container? My proxmox server is where I created the ZFS pool and my datasets that I use for all my storage and I just share them with the plex lxc.

Thanks to anyone that can help with this. Been stressing and overthinking this all day. Found my first error in a scrub so its making me do this finally. I have a backup of the file luckily but I need a good solution.

You can definitely run PBS on the same host, just a bit of extra hassle when it does go down. Personally I'd install PBS on a second machine and just configure it to be powered off most of the time, have it power off the moment it has finished backups. That way if you have a failure on your main system, you can restore backups much quicker since you still have a working PBS install for you to access rather than have to stress about rebuilding that too.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!