Need activation after restored Windows VM

rick's

Nov 20, 2009
Hi,

I need to make a restauration on new powerfull server about 100 KVM Windows (that include some accountancy software like EBP).

But when i try it, KVM restored ask me to active again OS and others softwares. Have you an idea to bypass this? (the problem is that this accountncy software need phone activation in work hour, and i need to make migration in off hours...)

Unique idetifier and mac adress is same (on source and target).

Don't know how can the transfert be invisible.

Thanks

Without further information about the identification scheme used in the software, we can only provide further steps to check:
- check harddisk id/serial (cannot be set via GUI in PVE), man kvm

The problem is not disk ID.

There is HW server change. Different cpu/mb/etc. -> different IDs. With different SW (+OS) there will be different identification schemes. I don't think, there is way to hold all those IDs same (and by the way, it's blockrock for the future moves). The best way will be probably document any problematic SW/OS that will require for example voice activation and cooperate migration with those vendors.

The best way will be probably document any problematic SW/OS that will require for example voice activation and cooperate migration with those vendors.

That's not PVE specifc, it does apply to all virtualization products if you do not fix all serial and id stuff manually. It can be done with VirtualBox and it can be done with KVM, yet you have to get your hands dirty and supply everything by hand. I've done it multiple times, it is a hassle and you're better of speaking to your vendor to reissue a license (if they allow virtualization).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!