Need a recipe :)

chrispazz

Mar 13, 2021
Just replaced my Synology with a Proxmox server.

The server has 2 physical nics and I created a router VM (Untangle).
I have a lot of devices in my net and I used to have segregated VLANS (IOT, WIFI, Main, etc).
Currently I have connected one physical Nic to external router (Fritzbox) that is connected to DSL line and the other to a managed switch.

Which is the best configuration to manage VLAN?

Is better to only have bridge connected to Untangle having VLAN interfaces configured inside it or is better to have VLAN mapped inside host Proxmox and attach them all to Untangle?

I also have various containers and VM that should be connected to different VLANs based on their use (domotica, etc...).

Thank you for advices.

Well, that is up to you. You can either add a new NIC for each VLAN and set the VLAN tag there on the PVE layer. Depending on how many VLANs you have, you might run into some limits though. The Limit is 32 NICs per VM right now.

The other approach would be to manage the VLANs inside the router VM. For this you need to configure the vmbrX to be vlan-aware so it will handle VLAN tags set by the guest accordingly.

Reactions: chrispazz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!