Multiple shared folders on Synology NAS count multiple times toward total storage

Aug 7, 2024
I have a few different shared folders on my Synology NAS that I share to Proxmox with SMB. Each shared folder reports the total size of the NAS to Proxmox, and each one added is duplicated in the total storage that the Datacenter shows as available.
What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: I found that I can set which storage count towards the total in the personal settings in the top right of the GUI.

Last edited:
If I understood you correctly - you have a volume with a few directories. Each directory shows the total size of the volume, as it happens in any OS basic use case.
To isolate these directories from each other you have to set quotas. Whether it is possible with your choice of NAS - I don't know. If you had a Netapp, the technology you'd use is QTrees. If it's something ZFS-based, you'd use ZVols (?) (I am not a ZFS expert, correct me if I am wrong).

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

If I understood you correctly - you have a volume with a few directories. Each directory shows the total size of the volume, as it happens in any OS basic use case.
To isolate these directories from each other you have to set quotas. Whether it is possible with your choice of NAS - I don't know. If you had a Netapp, the technology you'd use is QTrees. If it's something ZFS-based, you'd use ZVols (?) (I am not a ZFS expert, correct me if I am wrong).

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thanks for the pointers, I'm new at this but will see where these leads me in relation to the Synology NAS, which is formatted ext4.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!