Multiple Management IPs and VLAN segregation to VMs

gelcom

Mar 18, 2021
Hi all, sorry for the NOOB question as this is my first attempt to run ProxMox.

I have a machine with multiple NICs. What I want to accomplish is to have 2 NICs for management but with different management IPs and different subnets on each one and 1 NIC with VLAN aware with each VLAN allocated to a single VM as follows:

NIC 1 - ProxMox Mgmt IP - 192.168.100.1/24 - No VMs
NIC 2 - ProxMox Mgmt IP - 192.168.200.1/24 - No VMs
NIC 3 - No management or access to ProxMox server. Alocate to VMs with VLANs - VLAN 100 to VM 100, VLAN 101 to VM 101, and so on

Any help is appreciated!

kind regards

Why two mgmt ipv4? What are you trying to solve?

NIC3 - read documentation about bridges.

Why two mgmt ipv4? What are you trying to solve?

NIC3 - read documentation about bridges.

one mgmt ipv4 will be used behind a firewall for ordinary use and the other will be used with a direct connection from a specific local computer for contingency use. If firewall goes down I can access proxmox mgmt directly from this trusted computer on this different and safe subnet.

Like already mentioned, read about bridges. :)
Check the box "vlan aware", enter a vlan tag id when creating a VM and you're good to go.

And the two subnets can easily be configured via the GUI for the two NICs.

Or do you have a specific question?

Regarding the bridges I’m ok. Documentation covers that ok.

regarding the two different management IPs in different subnets I found no online info about it. If you can point me to right direction I really appreciate.

NIC 1 - ProxMox Mgmt IP192.168.100.1/24
NIC 2 - ProxMox Mgmt IP - 192.168.200.1/24

kind regards

Just add the ip to the bridge or to the interface you want?

You can for example create either an additional bridge in the right vlan or an additional interface in the right vlan. I would prefer the interface only. For example eth0.200 and the address you want.
Just remember that you can't have multiple gateways (you can with iproute2, but thats not needed for you).

It's debian... I mean there are literally 500 faqs how to configure interfaces.
You can use the proxmox gui too, but it's the same as /etc/network/interfaces
So the faqs describes the cli way, but proxmox does nothing else as change that one file too... And read from it xD

That's your direction, now go and learn xD

Just add the ip to the bridge or to the interface you want?

You can for example create either an additional bridge in the right vlan or an additional interface in the right vlan. I would prefer the interface only. For example eth0.200 and the address you want.
Just remember that you can't have multiple gateways (you can with iproute2, but thats not needed for you).

It's debian... I mean there are literally 500 faqs how to configure interfaces.
You can use the proxmox gui too, but it's the same as /etc/network/interfaces
So the faqs describes the cli way, but proxmox does nothing else as change that one file too... And read from it xD

That's your direction, now go and learn xD
Yeah it's debian but also proxmox... why have a GUI then if I have to do everything in the CLI .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!