Multiple IP's on Bond?

blackpaw

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2013
Running ProxMox 3.4 with 3 network cards per node and I'd like to create 2 IP addresses on a bond of all ports using linux networking. Would the following be the way to do it?

Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address  10.10.10.240
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        slaves eth0 eth1 eth2
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode 802.3ad

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.5.240
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.5.200
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

Thanks

Bridge ports should not have their own addresses, you put both addresses on the bridge. For this you can use additional vmbr0 stanzas, or aliases with the X:Y notation. See: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
Eg.:
Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.5.240
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.5.200
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.10.10.240
        netmask  255.255.255.0

Thanks Wolfgang, but if possible I'd prefer to stick with the proxmox ui, which doesn't allow multiple bridges with the same name.

I unfamiliar with the syntax Wolfgang wrote, I normally use ip alias interfaces

Code:
iface vmbr0:0 inet static
        address  10.10.10.240
        netmask  255.255.255.0

Thanks everyone, I should have mentioned that I have dual IP's and bond working using openvswitch, but have a problem with VM network devices locking up under load, once that happens only rebooting the node fixes it. Trying to test if openvswitch is the problem.

Thanks everyone, I should have mentioned that I have dual IP's and bond working using openvswitch, but have a problem with VM network devices locking up under load, once that happens only rebooting the node fixes it. Trying to test if openvswitch is the problem.

i do not have that issue with my VM's /Ct's (7 / 9)

i use untagged and tagged traffic over the same bond.

I have 4 Nics bonded on the same bond.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!