MTU 9000 for Ceph and Backup, but 1500 for Management and Guest VMs.

BinaryCrash

Sep 22, 2019
Hello,

I have 4 Proxmox VE 8.2.4 nodes using CEPH 18.2.2 with SSD and NVME OSDs. Each node with a dual 40gb qsfp+ port.
And one ( 1 ) Proxmox backup server. All servers are connected to a Switch Huawei S67xx, capable of jumbo frames (9000+ MTU).

I would like to have use of 9000 MTU for Ceph and backup server, but stay with MTU 1500 for management (VE and backup server) and Guests VMs also 1500 MTU.
I have multiple VLANs on this switch.

What would be your recommendations to achieve better performance in this scenario?
Would you provide an example of how to configure the network at VE and Proxmox backup server? (on the Huawei switch i can manage)

Any help is very appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!