MSSQL Database in High Available

Jan 13, 2021
I have 3 of the same servers. My question is, in High Available mode, what would be the impact on an MSSQL server? I am unsure how Promox manages mount images. Does it create a shadow copy on the hard drive, and does real-time sync to the hosted image? Or does it force the VM into ram and use swapping or, god forbid, try the move all the data over the network?

2 X Xeon E5-2640 v3 32 core
128 GB Ram
4 x 1.2 TB SAS Hard Drive in raid 5
Running Promox 6.3-3

VMS
2 x Windows 2019 Servers std
  1. Active Directory, DNS, DHCP
  2. Terminal Services, IIS, Misc Apps
Windows 10 PRO - User
CentOS Voicemail pro
Ubuntu 20.04 webserver
Ubuntu 20.04 MSSQL Server - Database file uncompressed 50 GB

All would VM's would be hosted on FreeNas CIFS.

I was on the forum to learn about this today and was wondering, what would be best?

-Having just one instance of the database on a shared storage and letting the HA start it again on a different host in the event of a crash?
or
-Having a second instance of the database on a different host using the database HA cluster system?

I was on the forum to learn about this today and was wondering, what would be best?

-Having just one instance of the database on a shared storage and letting the HA start it again on a different host in the event of a crash?
or
-Having a second instance of the database on a different host using the database HA cluster system?

The best is to use HA on application layer, e.g. mariadb galera.

Hypervisor HA has delay and no data integrity.

Last edited:
The best is to use HA on application layer, e.g. mariadb galera.

Hypervisor HA has delay and no data integrity.
Thank you for the input, I followed your advice. Haproxy, etcd and patroni for postgre... Great combo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!