moving windows server 2008 from VMWare to Proxmox with two harddrives

tortonness

Mar 9, 2017
Hi

I am migrating a VM from VMWare to ProxMox. The installation has two harddrives on VMWare(*.VMDK and *_01.VMDK).

Can i just create two harddrives on the ProxMox server and copy/convert both of them to .RAW format and start up on ProxMox ?.

Also should i remove VMware tools on the windows 2008 installation first?.

Thanks
Tor

First apply 'mergeide' patch to your system and yes, remove VMWare tools.
All you need is described in Proxmox Wiki Migration article.
Then just create VM with appropriate configuration, attach your images, even in native VMDK (flatten it first) format, but better convert it to qcow2 or raw.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffwadsworth
Thanks

Do i need to install mergeide?. this is not a physical machine. it is win2008 server located on VMware.

To be on the safe side, even though this has always worked well for me, you can set up a test Win2008 VM and practice migrating it to the Proxmox environment.

To be on the safe side, even though this has always worked well for me, you can set up a test Win2008 VM and practice migrating it to the Proxmox environment.
Absolutely right.
Also, disk device must be set to "IDE" in new virtual machine. It is possible to install VirtIO drivers from RedHat later and be happy with high-performance VirtIO disks.
And one more thing. When I installed Windows 2008 (not R2!) in Proxmox VM, there were random BSODs, sometimes every 1-2 hours. I tried everything, opened a thread on old Proxmox forum, with no result. Only upgrade to 2008R2 did the trick. 2012R2 has no such problems, it very stable in virtual environment.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!