Moving VMs to new storage?

smccloud

Mar 21, 2012
I currently have 4 NVMe SSDs in individual PCIe -> NVMe adapters. I will be converting to two Oracle F40 SSDs in order to save two PCIe slots while not losing any storage space. Would I be better off removing half the NVMe SSDs (they are in RAID10) or would I be better off backing them up or temporarily moving them to a CIFS share on a NVMe SSD on my desktop? There is one VM that has to stay running, my pfSense firewall.

If your PVE install is NOT on your VM storage you want to chance, you can also add an external storage, move all VMs online to this storage, rebuild your local VM-only disks, move the VMs back online and you're done.

If your PVE install is NOT on your VM storage you want to chance, you can also add an external storage, move all VMs online to this storage, rebuild your local VM-only disks, move the VMs back online and you're done.
PVE is installed on its own SSDs, but I do not have the room needed to move them on those SSDs (they are only 128GB SSDs). I suppose I could just move the pfSense VM to the PVE install location and backup the other VMs as well. That should in theory work correct?

In practice too :-D
Is snapshot the proper method to use for the backups in my case?

Additionally, My unRAID VM that has no virtual disks assigned, it has a USB key (boot volume) and my SAS controllers passed through to it. Do I need to do anything special for it?

Is snapshot the proper method to use for the backups in my case?
I'd shutdown all VMs and backup it. This is the safest method.

Additionally, My unRAID VM that has no virtual disks assigned, it has a USB key (boot volume) and my SAS controllers passed through to it. Do I need to do anything special for it?

Good question, I'd say no, yet I'm unfamiliar with unRAID.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!