Moving VM from Local to Local-lvm. All system down for 5 hours...

alinm

Mar 18, 2020
Hi. I'm very new to proxmox. I have used citrix so far. Migrating to proxmox is not very good for me. Please help urgently.
I imported a 60GB virtual machine from Citrix into Proxmox. See the image - VM 100 Prod1
I converted to qcow. I created in Proxmox a 200GB machine and the migration was successful. I worked 7 days on production with Prod1.
Yesterday I tried to move VM Prod1 from local to local-lvm to free up space. I can only create new virtual machines only on Local (see image 002). The move failed with error see image 003.png.

I tried to restart the Prod1 machine and I had a Failed VNC error ... or something like that.
Now all system is down for 5 hours. Pls Help.

I do not understand:
1. Why did Proxmox create a 200GB Prod1 virtual machine on 100GB local storage?
2. How do I transfer from local storage to local-lvm? I can't create a car on local-lvm storage. see picture 002.png.

I use an HP ProLiant DL360e G8, 8 SFF server with 2 X 1T SSD Raid1 + Hw Raid Controller HP Smart Array P420 +1 GB Cache

Please urgently help !!!

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    514.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.png
    003.png
    497.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 002.png
    002.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm trying to be more clearer. I really need to restart in maximum 2 hours the car 100 (Prod1). This VM worked very well until I tried to move it from Local storage to Local-lvm storage, without the option to delete it after moving.
So:
1. The move failed. I do not understand why. Error in the attached picture.
2. Restart 100 (Prod1) also failed, VNC error. I do not understand why.

Pls help

You should upload some pictures of the configuration on Prox1 VM.

Did you run out of disk space in the migration?

In my experience Proxmox will NOT warn you if you try to move a disk and there is not enough space on the destination. I wish it would.

If the old disk worked and is still around, make sure Prod1 VM is set to load from the old disk, not the new failed disk.

Hi Mihai,

You should upload some pictures of the configuration on Prox1 VM.

1. Did you run out of disk space in the migration?

In my experience Proxmox will NOT warn you if you try to move a disk and there is not enough space on the destination. I wish it would.

If the old disk worked and is still around, make sure Prod1 VM is set to load from the old disk, not the new failed disk.

Meanwhile scenario is changed and I will explain.
But just for Proxmox user experience let me answer to your question with some more detailes.
First, being the first Proxmox installation for me, I initially created first Prod1 VM 200GB on Local Storage (100GB by default) and imported Qcow2 from var/lib/vz. Very strange isn't it? VM 200GB. Local Storage 100GB. I use 2 SSD 1 TB Raid 1 with a Hardware raid controller. For this reason we could not configure a ZFS storage according to the Proxmox tutorials.

Being familiar with Citrix I didn't know that Proxmox will install the my Prod1 VM on Local. But all was OK till I tried to move Prod1 VM to Storage Local -lvm. So, When I tried to transfer it gave me an error. I attached images in the initial post. Next, When I tried to start the Prod1VM on Local, which another VNC error.

I have searched all over the internet for a tutorial to understand how to configure the storage partitions since I use a 2xHDD RAID1 and hardware Raid controller, so no Proxmox ZFS. I have not found anything. Can you help us with a help guide?

No, scenario is changed.
I reinstall Proxmox. My VM-100 (Prod1) still have 200GB size and need to go live, but Proxmox Local Storage only 100GB by default and no option to increase space on it. Still, I can't set-up some valid Storage on server in order to import my VM Qcow to Local-lsv,. Only option in Proxmox was creating a new VM on Local Storage. I reattach 002 Picture.

So, only Workaround I found was to run my VM Prod1 from USB Externall HDD attached to Proxmox.
Now, pls guide me to migrate VM-100 from USB External HDD to Storage1 (productie2) for exemple ( image 004).

pls find attached more screenshots with my Proxmox config

Regard / Multumesc

Alin

Attachments

• 002.png
    002.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 004.png
    004.png
    748.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.59.png
    577.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.15.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.15.png
    595 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.31.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.31.png
    617.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.04.20.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.04.20.png
    760 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.51.png
    613.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.27.png
    758.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.05.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.05.05.png
    684.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 10.06.45.png
    644.4 KB · Views: 6
I'm not an expert on Proxmox but I think you need to slow down.

Before you move production over to a new system you have to learn it a bit, and test before you do anything.....

Let's start at the beginning and go simple and slow:

How many disks and what size you do you have installed on the server?

I see only 2 disks:

Disk 1 (/dev/sda) : 1TB SSD, where Proxmox operating system is installed, correct?

Disk 2 (/dev/sdb) : 1TB External USB hard drive.

I am looking at your Storage and I do not see where you mounted USB hard drive. You said VM100 is running from the USB drive?

Storage.png

Anyway, according to your VM100 information, the disk already exists on /dev/sda on storage named director.

VM100.png

can you go to shell for proxmox node and post the output for the below commands:-

1- root@pve:~# lsblk
2- root@pve:~# df -h

I'm not an expert on Proxmox but I think you need to slow down.

Before you move production over to a new system you have to learn it a bit, and test before you do anything.....

Let's start at the beginning and go simple and slow:

How many disks and what size you do you have installed on the server?

I see only 2 disks:

Disk 1 (/dev/sda) : 1TB SSD, where Proxmox operating system is installed, correct?

Disk 2 (/dev/sdb) : 1TB External USB hard drive.

I am looking at your Storage and I do not see where you mounted USB hard drive. You said VM100 is running from the USB drive?

View attachment 15768

Anyway, according to your VM100 information, the disk already exists on /dev/sda on storage named director.

View attachment 15769

Hello. Thank you for help. I try to take it easier, but I'm a little stressed because I feel like a beginner driver driving a rail car. No preparation time. :)

So.
Yes, VM100 was running last 24 hours from External HDD USB drive via a virtual link to VM-100. Madness. :) Now, I move the disk (200GB) from USB to local-lvm. See pics 008. Hope All will be fine and VM100 will start from local-lvm.

It would help me a lot to know how to make easier:
1. import a 480 GB qcow virtual machine from external drive into Proxmox VM?
2. Is Proxmox Backup limited to 100GB Local node size? Because when I set-up back-up I can opt only for 100 GB of Local Node Productie2. How can I backup biger size VM?

I've seen pretty much all the proxmox tutorials on youtube. I still can't find an answer on how to import a larger Qcow VM ( ex 600GB) in Proxmox.
Pls keep re-note that I use a Hardware Controller Raid that not allow me to setup ZFS Storage, for example.

Thanks a lot for trying to help me. It's seems to be very easy way to do all stuff I need in Proxmox.. but I'm really confused with this import for big size VM

Attachments

• 008.png
    008.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 5
1. If you want to move a disk from one VM to another see this wiki article. Just be careful, if you are moving disk to an LVM-Thin storage, I believe the disk has to be in RAW format, not qcow2. Maybe you can keep things simple and not use LVM-Thin for now.

2. I don't think there is a backup limit to disk size, but it will go slower. You have a different problem if you believe you have only 100GB of local node storage. I see you have 900 GB of local storage. I don't really understand.

You must be careful that you have enough space on the destination for backup. The backup will use as much space as the VM uses in the disk (not disk size).

For example, if VM has 100GB disk, but VM uses only 50GB, you can assume worst case scenario, backup will be 50GB. If you take three backups on rotation, that is 50 x 3 = 150GB of backups.

Maybe you should continue to use the old production system. Then set up Proxmox exactly how you need it, then move to Proxmox.

You are trying to move into a house, when the floor is not yet installed properly....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!