Moving proxmox installation on another server

Guls

Apr 9, 2019
Hello guys

I have 8 years old proxmox based server with raid 1 for Proxmox installation and raid 5 for VM's.
Yesterday my RAID controller LSI 9271 reported errors and it won't recognize raid 5 anymore.

I tried my luck and transfered disks to another, newer server with SAS3 RAID controller, imported configuration, and that server recognized my raid 5 which is great.
So, I tried my luck further and cloned raid 1 to a new single disk which I installed in new server in SATA port to be boot disk.
But, my system won't boot at all. Probably because of hardware differences (three years newer than old server).

What is the best solution for me to get Proxmox up and running on a new server with existing raid 5 storage?
Is it to install new proxmox and pick up config files? And after that just mount raid 5 storage?

You could try to enable CSM / legacy boot in BIOS if your old server used BIOS and the new one is UEFI. Maybe it can boot then.

Reactions: Guls
It didn't work. It just gets stuck at boot and nothing happens. I installed Proxmox 7 on a new disk and booted without problems. Now I am looking to mount existing ext4 partition from raid storage without losing data. Any help appreciated :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!