Moving / Migrating VMs in a Cluster that use external stroage devices mounted in the VM.

bmcgonag

Jul 22, 2021
I have a few VMs that are setup with a ZFS Pool, or part of one as external storage (USB Drive Bay). I'm trying to migrate the VMs to a new server in my cluster, but when I did this using Backup / Restore, it did allocate the storage, but to the same physical drive. I'd really like to put the VMs on my SSDs which are smaller, and still have the storage for the drives on the slower, larger spinning drives and just mounted.

I'm trying to figure out the right way to get this accomplished. I appreciate any guidance.

For example:
VM-103 is on Node A. It runs Ubuntu Server. I have mounted 1.5 TB of sotrage from an 8TB ZFS Array as storage on the VM.

I'd like to move VM-103 to Node B on an SSD, and the external storage to node B on a physical 8TB drive.

Do I need to unmount the 1.5 TB on Node A, backup the VM, restor it on Node B, then try to separately migrate the data from the storage? If so, how?

I know this is a lot, and the storage is not shared storage.

Thanks in advance.

then try to separately migrate the data from the storage? If so, how?
I think you just need to unplug the USB from node A, plug it into node B, then import the ZFS pool with appropriate commands and make it available to PVE.
Would also, probably, need to properly shutdown the pool/array prior to unplugging it from node A.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!