Moving from VMware to Proxmox

H.c.K

Oct 16, 2019
Hi, I have a server with vmware version 11. I want to move this server to Proxmox. I'm new to Proxmox. I went through the Migration documents, but I didn't succeed.
  1. I opened the server with the same features through Proxmox.
  2. I moved the vmware vdmk file to the server that was opened on the proxmox server. -> It didn't work that way
  3. #qemu-img convert vm-1281-disk-11.vmdk -O vmdk vm-1281-disk-1.vmdk -> server turned on, but centos didn't see the disks. devecot remained on screen.
  4. #qemu-img convert vm-1281-disk-11.vmdk -O qcow2 vm-1282-disk-1.qcow2 -> I opened a new server and chose the disk format qemu. server turned on, but centos didn't see the disks. devecot remained on screen.
Actually, my goal is to run the server in vmdk format.
Please see screenshots.
My proxmox version:
Proxmox: Virtual Environment -> Version: 3.4-6

Can you help me find a way?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
Proxmox VE 3 is not more supported.
Please consider upgrading to PVE version 6.

it looks like your centos does not mount the disk.
One possibility is CentOS is old and does not support virtio drivers.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I'm thinking of switching to Proxmox 6, but I need to solve this problem right now. Centos 7 is my operating system. How do I install virtio drivers?

CentOS7 should support virtio, but try to change the bus to IDE.
This is slow and not recommended for production use but you can try to verify if this is the problem.
How do I install virtio drivers?
This is a kernel module and must include at build time.
Do you have a special VMware kernel?

Hi,
I don't use a special kernel.
root:esx1:~] uname -r
[root@dns1 ~]# uname -r
3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64
I would love it if you could help me with that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!