Move VMs between Proxmox clusters

iwannabfishn

Aug 13, 2024
I have 2 proxmox clusters. I am trying to move a vm from one to the other. I am new at this. I am from a VMWare background. In Vmware, I would connect both servers to the same datastore, remove from inventory on one server, then browse to the VM and add it to inventory on the other. What is the best way to move VMs between clusters in Proxmox. Thanks!

There is qm remote-migrate but that's currently command-line only. There are some examples of that on this forum.
Backup (to PBS for example) and restore could also be a way (especially if you already have backups, like running PBS as a container in both clusters that sync with each other).

Simple to do offline using pve backups:
- create a dataset on a NAS (or on one of your PVE clusters) and export it using nfs
- create a new PVE storage pool on each PVE cluster that both mount this nfs filesystem. Set this pve storage for dumps.
- do a backup of the vm you want to migrate using this new storage
- restore this backup on the other cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!