Move vm with disks on lvm-thin to another server with lvm-thin

Fantu

Jan 23, 2024
Hi, I moved vm disks from kvm server (not proxmox) that use raw file to a proxmox mounting a remote folder with it (in my case using smb share but can be done in other ways) and after using qm importdisk directly on the raw files.
Code:
qm importdisk <id vm> /path/image.raw <pve lvm-thin storage> --format raw

Now I'm looking what is the best and faster way to move from a proxmox to another (not cluster), both with vm disks on lvm-thin.
One way is dd to a file in an external disk and after connect to destination server and using "qm importdisk". It is also possible using over the network, without having to attach/detach disks, if you already have enough space on a local partition on one of the servers.
But with vm disks very big is not possible and with this way do a "double" copy with longer time needed.

So to search a way to do a direct copy I found to manually create the destination lv and do a dd over ssh: https://serverfault.com/questions/3...y-from-one-server-to-another-over-the-network.
Is there a better way I didn't found using proxmox (even if not in a cluster) to do it?

Last edited:
I haven't tested it yet. But have you ever qm remote-migrate tested it?

Code:
qm help remote-migrate

This makes it possible to migrate entire VMs without a cluster to another Proxmoxhost via the API. And all without ZFS.

Reactions: Fantu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!