Move VM to Proxmox, my brain ain't working

Cire3

Sep 13, 2022
I'm sure this is simple and I'm just missing something stupid "I hope"

I did a P2V using vmware standalone converter. So, from the windows server itself, I ran it to a 4Tb drive it had available.

From my understanding I need to transfer it to /var/lib/vz/images. However, my Proxmox OS disk is only 250Gb. VM with both disk is 330Gb.

My promox server again has a 250Gb OS disk, them a 1Tb NVME drive. I want both disk from the VM to reside on the 1Tb NVMe drive.

With my promox OS drive only being 250Gb, how would I transfer it being that drive is too small.

Any way to access the NVMe drive and just place the 2 converted images there from the physical server using Winscp?

I know I'm missing some basic logic, and my brain is stuck in ESXi land.... and this just works different.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
You have seen the "qm importdisk" command which you can point to a file stored anywhere (for example to a mounted USB-Disk or SMB share)?:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/qm.1.html
qm importdisk <vmid> <source> <storage> [OPTIONS]

Import an external disk image as an unused disk in a VM. The image format has to be supported by qemu-img(1).

<vmid>: <integer> (1 - N)
The (unique) ID of the VM.

<source>: <string>
Path to the disk image to import

<storage>: <string>
Target storage ID

--format <qcow2 | raw | vmdk>
Target format

I'm converting the disk on the physical server with qm for windows.

So, I would be importing qcow2 from a network shared drive.

I need to do some reading here. vmid is the number on the vm like 100?

So from proxmox if I'm following I would use

qm importdisk 100 \\path_to_network__share_image 1tb_Storage_path ? If I'm understanding right

I'm converting the disk on the physical server with qm for windows.

So, I would be importing qcow2 from a network shared drive.

I need to do some reading here. vmid is the number on the vm like 100?
Jup.
So from proxmox if I'm following I would use

qm importdisk 100 \\path_to_network__share_image 1tb_Storage_path ? If I'm understanding right
No. Lets say your SMB share is mounted at "/mnt/smbshare" and you got a myimage.qcow2 there. And the storage of your VM disk storage that uses your NVMe got a StorageID (thats how the storage is called in the webUI) "NVMeSSD". And you want to add that imported image to the VM with the VMID 100. Then you could run qm importdisk 100 "/mnt/smbshare/myimage.qcow2" NVMeSSD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!