Move Unraid baremetal to Proxmox VM

ksullivan86

Apr 2, 2024
I have been using unraid for a little while but there are features I would really like in proxmox like HA. Anyways I would like to move to proxmox but I am not sure If I need to have a sata card to passthrough or not. I have a intel i7 1400k on a asrock taichi lite z790 (64gb ram) and a intel arc a770(16gb). I currently have 6 hard drives and 2 nvme drives all directly connected to the motherboard(not using any add in cards) I wanted to keep my server fairly low idle power so Id rather not use any add in cards if I dont need to. From little I have read It seems many people use a sata pcie card to pass through the hard drives in order to use the SMART hard drive data and the option to sleep the hard drives.

It really seems like there should be a way to passthrough each hard drive and still keep all the functionality of the hard drives. Is there a guide on this or anything?

It really seems like there should be a way to passthrough each hard drive and still keep all the functionality of the hard drives. Is there a guide on this or anything?
No, full functionality and being able to directly access the weal physical disks you only get when using PCI passing through the whole disk controller with all disks attached to it: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough

If you passthrough single disks they are virtualized and therefore stuff like SMART won't be available inside the VM as the VM is only seeing virtual disks: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

I would really like in proxmox like HA
For HA you need 3+ hosts. Also keep in mind that PVE is no NAS and lacks all NAS features. So you might still want to run a NAS OS inside a VM.

Last edited:
damn thats a real bummer I have to add an additional card, I guess Ill start a thread asking for the recommendations for low idle power pcie sata cards that are at least 8x sata ports but ideally 10x ports

damn thats a real bummer I have to add an additional card, I guess Ill start a thread asking for the recommendations for low idle power pcie sata cards that are at least 8x sata ports but ideally 10x ports
If you go through the list of pci devices then you may be able to identify a controller you can pass through to the unraid vm. This is personally what I do but I have a server motherboard.

Reactions: ksullivan86

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!