mount pve

taich

Aug 15, 2020
I have a proxmox 8.2 server but its boot ssd has errors, so proxmox does not boot any more.
I took the defect ssd out of the server and connected it to another linux pc to copy important configuration data from it.

I managed to mount the broken ssd and copied the whole /etc/ directory.
Unfortunately in proxmox there is a subdir /etc/pve/qemu-server where config (like 100.conf ) of all vm's is stored.

mount /dev/mapper/pve-data /mnt/data does not work.
error wrong fs type, bad option missing codepage or helper program

How can I mount pve-data partition where vm config is stored?

Many Thanks
Thomas

I have a proxmox 8.2 server but its boot ssd has errors, so proxmox does not boot any more.
I took the defect ssd out of the server and connected it to another linux pc to copy important configuration data from it.

I managed to mount the broken ssd and copied the whole /etc/ directory.
Unfortunately in proxmox there is a subdir /etc/pve/qemu-server where config (like 100.conf ) of all vm's is stored.
The /etc/pve directory structure is a filesystem-view on a database: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pmxcfs . You need the Proxmox services running to access it as files. People often run into this, so maybe there are know ways to work around it? I don't know any and I think people recreate the VM configuration from their own memory.
mount /dev/mapper/pve-data /mnt/data does not work.
error wrong fs type, bad option missing codepage or helper program

How can I mount pve-data partition where vm config is stored?
It depends on what storage type you used, but probably pve-data is a LVM or LVM-thin and not a filesystem that you can mount. It is not where the VM configurations are stored but it is possible the VM virtual disks are stored there. Maybe use a Linux LVM guide to find the logical volumes of the virtual disks?

I managed to create and mount the ZFS storage.
In proxmox web interface under pveserver I see zfs-data where a disk vm-100-disk-0 is located.

Now I created the 100.conf file and put it in /etc/pve/qemu-server

Code:
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 2
memory: 2048
name: test
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:5E:0B:06,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: zfs-data:vm-100-disk-0.raw
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
sockets: 1

When I start the vm nothing happens. After a while i get this message:

Code:
qm start 100
timeout: no zvol device link for 'vm-100-disk-0.raw' found after 300 sec.

What about the .raw extension?

Last edited:
Now I created the 100.conf file and put it in /etc/pve/qemu-server

Code:
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 2
memory: 2048
name: test
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:5E:0B:06,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: zfs-data:vm-100-disk-0.raw
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
sockets: 1

When I start the vm nothing happens. After a while i get this message:

Code:
qm start 100
timeout: no zvol device link for 'vm-100-disk-0.raw' found after 300 sec.
It's probably not a file and you should not put .raw at the end (in the configuration file).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!