Mount disk without wiping to storage

Epicw4r

Aug 4, 2024
Hey!

First time I've installed Proxmox today and only seen some videos regarding it. Have used EXSI before with an old HP server but running and secondary PC now. So I wanted to try out proxmox instead of Windows 10/11 and running virtual box..

I have managed to get two of my SSD and my 1 TB showing up but I cannot get my 2x 3TB disk to mount and to be able to do anything. I have certain stuff on these so I would want to skip wiping them. How can I do it?

I have googled and checked videos but haven't found anyone that apply to what I need to do..

1722785965932.png

So here are my disks.. My SDA .. SDB and SDF is working because I wiped my 1 TB and my 1 SSD. The other SSD is where proxmox is installed.

HDD's with data on it can be mounted via CMD, like this:

Code:
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/<UUID> /mnt/your-mountpoint

You could also use /dev/sdc or /dev/sde, but this name may change on the next boot. You can get the UUIDs with the following command:

Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Attention, it is not recommended to run VM images or CT's on NTFS, this can lead to strange behavior up to data loss.
Use LVM-Thin or other storage types for VMs and containers.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_storage_types

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!