missing operating system

Francesco04

Oct 1, 2024
Hi everyone, sorry if I'm using the forum section too much, but I managed to import a virtual machine from Vmware 7 to proxmox only that now when I start the machine from proxmox it fails to start the operating system. the virtual machine settings are:

- 2 GB RAM
- 20 GB storage
- Debian 10 64bit
- Host CPU

I left the rest of the options as default. How could I solve it?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
- 20 GB storage
Not sure what you mean by this storage. If you imported the VM from Vmware, you should have a complete bootable drive included in the VM.

So that someone can actually help you, could you provide the output (in CODE tags, </> above) of:
Code:
qm config {VMID}
# replacing {VMID} with the actual VM's ID no

storage indicates how large the entire virtual machine created is overall
This is neither helpful nor descriptive.

Is this the VM you are talking about in this other post? It appears to have a disk size of 60.0 GiB (excluding the efidisk of 4.00 MiB).

IDK why you don't provide the output I requested above. Until then I don't think anybody is going to be able to help you.

This is neither helpful nor descriptive.

Is this the VM you are talking about in this other post? It appears to have a disk size of 60.0 GiB (excluding the efidisk of 4.00 MiB).

IDK why you don't provide the output I requested above. Until then I don't think anybody is going to be able to help you.
no, the one from the other pots is another machine that I had tested. The second thing is that I don't know where to put my hands to answer what you asked me

So in fact your VM is booting, but is entering to the GRUB menu. You will have to search for Debian 10 solutions that boots into grub.

Select in webui left your vm 105, stop it (right mouse), in the middle select Hardware, select "Hard disk", see size 16G (!!), select Detach, ok, select Add, select "Hard disk", select other "type" here and select your vm file 105 and size 16G, ok. Try to boot that ...

Last edited:
Select in webui left your vm 105, stop it (right mouse), in the middle select Hardware, select "Hard disk", see size 16G (!!), select Detach, ok, select Add, select "Hard disk", select other "type" here and select your size 16G, ok. Try to boot that ...
ok

Select in webui left your vm 105, stop it (right mouse), in the middle select Hardware, select "Hard disk", see size 16G (!!), select Detach, ok, select Add, select "Hard disk", select other "type" here and select your size 16G, ok. Try to boot that ...
wait but by doing this the disk is not erased so what should you boot if the disk is new?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!