Migration to ZFS - Best practice approach

chrisp250

Dec 16, 2022
Hi all,
I have set up a Proxmox cluster environment. On one node I have a VM that has a large library of files on a 6TB drive, set up as Folder storage. I have another node for which I just purchased a 6TB drive.
My intention is to have the 2 nodes set up with high availability (yes, I have a 3rd node) on ZFS.

What is the best practice to migrate to ZFS? Can I set up the second node drive as ZFS storage with the same name as the first node's Folder storage and migrate the VM across, then rebuild the first drive as ZFS and enable HA?

Thank you

you mean zfs replication. If you want real HA, use ceph or a NAS/SAN on another (highly available) machine.
Hi,
Yes, ZFS replication.
I haven't tried to learn Ceph yet and don't have a NAS/SAN. I'm just trying to extend my current set up to include this VM that has a large disk.
Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!