Migration question - ESXi ---> Proxmox

nethfel

Dec 26, 2014
Hi all,

I've been reading this page:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

in the wiki.

I have several windows servers I would like to migrate, but I'm concerned about a few things -

I know domain controllers are sometimes not very polite about changing hardware on the level of moving to very dissimilar equipment (not much unlike moving from vmware to proxmox I'd assume) - has anyone migrated a Win2008 DC from VMWare to ProxMox? If so, did it work or was it just a miserable failure?

What was the best option in terms of the migration if it worked well? I'd like the target format for the proxmox HDD image to be RAW (a few of the servers have MSSQL servers on them). Would it be best to use sysrescuecd or clonezilla or do a complete backup of the esxi vm and then use the server 2008 boot disk to restore from backup to the proxmox vm? If I use the dd option of the rescue cd, I assume I'll end up with a raw disk image or do I need to do some other manipulation to it?

My ultimate goal is to get the VM's migrated off of the free version ESXi servers and onto ProxMox cluster w/ ceph storage cluster. Ultimately I have about 8 Windows server vms (4 are DC's) on three vlans, 7 linux vms on 4 vlans and 6 windows 7 vms on 1 vlan (shared with 3 of the windows servers) that I'd need to migrate off of the existing vmware platform over to proxmox.

I do have some time before I plan to do this completely, but I want to make sure I understand it so I can have the procedure written out clearly so I can do it as quickly as possible to reduce the downtime.

If I can't migrate the DC's I do have a secondary plan I can put into place, but it would be less painful if I'd be able to migrate.

I had 2 DCs in ESXi when I migrated to Proxmox. What I did was stand up a new DC in proxmox and allow AD to replicate, then demoted one of my DCs, migrated it using the normal migration method in the wiki, and once it was migrated, and working, I reran DCPROMO to add it back to the domain. then did the same thing with the other DC. After all was done, I demoted my 3rd temporary DC and removed it

Which "normal" migration method? :) The copy of the vmdk and conversion of vmdk or one of the other techniques? (not including the mergeide, making sure the appropriate files are in system32 and removal of vmware tools prior to conversion).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!