Migration LXCs and VMs after upgrading disk

pplayer

Jul 22, 2024
I have Proxmox 8.1.10 installed on NUC with SSD. I added an NVMe disk and want to move proxmox to NVMe for better performance, and still keep the SSD to store data. I have installed Proxmox 8.2.4 to the NVMe disk. Now I can boot from both disks with 2 versions of Proxmox. How I can migrate all VMs and LXCs to the Proxmox on the NVMe?

Are you able to start the vms from your new installation? If you can create a new volume on the nvme, and then go to every vm you want to migrate, go into the Hardware tab, click on the vm's storage, click on the disk action button above, and the migrate the disk to the new disk.

Reactions: pplayer
Are you able to start the vms from your new installation? If you can create a new volume on the nvme, and then go to every vm you want to migrate, go into the Hardware tab, click on the vm's storage, click on the disk action button above, and the migrate the disk to the new disk.
How to start the vms from the new proxmox? I haven't created any vms/lxcs on the new one. I want to move them from the old to new.

Thanks to you now I know how to move disk of existing vms. But it doesn't seem to solve my problem, does it?

Are you able to boot into the old proxmox. If so, please backup all your VM's, this makes moving the configuration around much easier.
No boot into your nvme instance, go to storage(Datacenter->Storage->Add) and add a LVM-thin, now you should be able to add your old disk on the side view.
When it's ready, click on the disk, and you should see VM disk Images and Backups and restore them.

But you can try testing it out yourselfe on proxmox.
1. Create a VM and install proxmox on it(don't forget to set the cpu type to host) and create a vm
2. Stop the Proxmox VM, go to hardware, detach the current disk and add a new one and install proxmox again on this VM, and attach the old disk again.
3. Now try to recover the old VM, but as this is a minimal setup and everything virtualized, nothing can go wrong

Reactions: pplayer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!