Migration issue

Cornelius

Feb 15, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have a problem in connection with the migration of servers within a newly created cluster, a total of 3 containers have to be moved from server 1 to server 2.

When I want to migrate a container, I get the following error message:

The CT is moved to the other system anyway, but cannot be started there due to the missing hard disk. If I then move the CT back, it works again.

I am also somewhat puzzled by the storage configuration under "Datacenter". I have one local hard disk per server, but only one is displayed under Storage. This is set to shared. If you uncheck the box, the migration of the server no longer works at all.

Server 1:
2x 1TB SSD (Raid 1) - The CT is located here
2x 6TB HDD (Unused)

Server 2:
1x 240GB (Proxmox installation)
3x 4TB NVMe SSD (Server - ZFS Raid) - This is where the CT should be migrated to
3x 10TB HDD (Backups - ZFS Raid)

Does anyone know what the problem is here and how I can solve it? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Cornelius

Attachments

• Proxmox.png
    Proxmox.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 1
  • proxmox1.png
    proxmox1.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Proxmox2.png
    Proxmox2.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Proxmox3.png
    Proxmox3.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
You dont have SHARED storage. Shared storage is the type of storage that is available to all hosts at the same time (CIFS, NFS, Ceph, SAN). You have local storage, that ZFS pool is only available to one host and cannot be shared.
The easiest way is for you to name all your storage pools identically across nodes, remove the shared flag and perform migration that includes local storage.
CTs cannot be live migrated, they will restart even with shared storage. When you use Local storage the data will be copied over on migration event.

What is the context of your "cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg" from any node, and "pvesm status" from each node?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I have created a directory on the one ZFS raid for the backups, which I could then theoretically share, right? However, it doesn't work either - but I don't know whether you have to select somewhere which hard disk to migrate to.

Attachments

• Proxmox4.png
    Proxmox4.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Proxmox5.png
    Proxmox5.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 1
I have created a directory on the one ZFS raid for the backups, which I could then theoretically share, right?
No. "Shared" is an attribute, its not an action. By marking it "shared" you are telling PVE that you have already shared it in some way _outside_ of PVE.
PVE has no ability to share anything internally.
Your configuration file says:
I have a ZFS pool NVMe and it only exists on node2
I have a ZFS pool HDDs and it only exists on node2

dir Backups should NOT have "shared" attribute, its wrong.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
I did it with the first container and it worked without any problems. However, the local hard disk of the EDVTS002 is only 240GB instead of 1TB as on the other server, because only templates are stored there - and one of the servers has 800GB.

What would be a possible solution for this?

What would be a possible solution for this?
Your question is not clear. Solution for what? If you want to be able to migrate VMs or CTs located on local storage, you need matching local space on target node. The alternative is to have actual shared storage, ie some sort of NFS.

Good luck

local on wave11145, on which the CTs are located, has 1TB of storage space. local on EDVTS002, where the CTs would then be migrated to, has only 240GB of storage space.

My problem is that one of the containers has 800GB storage, so local to local will not work.

local on wave11145, on which the CTs are located, has 1TB of storage space. local on EDVTS002, where the CTs would then be migrated to, has only 240GB of storage space.

My problem is that one of the containers has 800GB storage, so local to local will not work.
Thats not a problem that can be solved in software. This requires a budget/purchasing solution. You can either buy a bigger disk or NFS storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!