[SOLVED] Migrating Windows XP from .vdi - always get BSOD

f.somenzi

Mar 15, 2021
Hi,
I'm trying to migrate a Windows XP virtual machine that runs normally on VirtualBox.
After trying several solutions, the result is always the same BSOD.

BSOD.JPG

Here is what I've tried so far:
  • Converted .vdi to .img, then copied into Proxmox (storage "local"), through WinScp, created VM with Hard Disk in RAW format, once the image was copied into Proxmox, renamed with .raw extension and then started - BSOD
    • Tried every bus: IDE, SATA and SCSI - always BSOD
  • Followed the page https://www.tienle.com/2017/07-05/create-a-new-vm-from-kvm-disk-in-proxmox.html which helped me in another case, where I imported a Linux virtual machine - after importing the vm in .img format and converted into qcow2 through "qemu-img convert"
  • Copied the .vdi file into proxmox and then imported into a previously created VM with command "qm importdisk". After that, set the Hard Disk with every type of bus: IDE, SATA and SCSI - always the same BSOD (ref.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9qUChkvhI )
  • Tried every type of Hardware combination (from default to Standard VGA and VirtIO-GPU for Graphics, from default to Intel E1000, Realtek 8139 and VirtIO paravirtualized for network, tried to change CPU type.... always the same BSOD...
I'm completely stuck. I'm sure it's a hardware problem but I can't figure it out which is the correct setup...

Can you post the VirtualBox configuration of that VM?
That would probably help understanding the current VM hardware to choose the best PVE equivalent of that.

And please post the CPU model of the Host running Virtualbox.

Last edited:
Before migrating xp you have to run a registry entry that restarts the controller ide is responsible for 90% of the blue screens

Reactions: f.somenzi
Can you post the VirtualBox configuration of that VM?
That would probably help understanding the current VM hardware to choose the best PVE equivalent of that.

And please post the CPU model of the Host running Virtualbox.
virtualbox-conf.JPG

I run Virtualbox on a PC whose CPU is Intel Core i5-8400

Full Wiki link *with* description: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Additional_ways_to_migrate_to_Proxmox_VE#mergeide
It actually says "Without this, cloned XP booting failed for me.", so this is absolutely worth a try!
Thank you Felix

Before migrating xp you have to run a registry entry that restarts the controller ide is responsible for 90% of the blue screens
and thank you pablopol24

The VM on Proxmox started correctly by registering the "mergeide" file at the source VM on VirtualBox

Reactions: pablopol24
I have a similar issue with trying to convert a XP vdi to a QEMU-KVM qcow2 - 0x7b BSOD on boot of the VM. It sounds like the mergeide is part of a recipe that solves the problem:
1. clone the XP vdi
2. apply the mergeide registry update to the clone
3. convert the clone to qcow2
Am I on the right track with this?

UPDATE: Yes this works. That's the good news. The bad news is that apparently the windows HW check algorithm thinks the HW changed so much that it's now asking for activation. That's really not the worst of it because Microsoft is quite generous with activations of old windows versions. The bigger problem is that most applications now think they're on a different machine and as a result are asking for unlocking - that's a show stopper. This might be unsolvable if the registry changes introduced by mergeide are tripping up the HW algorithm.

Last edited:
i successfully run a qcow2 converted from vhd
after i do this
- detach hdd
- reattach using ide/sata on the unused disk
- then run it

then it run, will need a few reboot after the windows adjusted the driver and stuff

anyway originally the vhd came from a physical laptop running windows 7 on a intel core i5 gen 3/ 16gb of ram/sata ssd
i am using proxmox 8
and will try to add more windows vm in the future

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!