Migrating my boot/root and storage

stuartbh

Dec 2, 2019
ProxMox users, et alia:

I am contemplating to deploy CEPH on my ProxMox nodes (they have 500GB to 2TB SSDs in them, I have 3 nodes), unfortunately ProxMox was installed on these large drives. Thus, I now wish to obtain some JetFlash (64GB) USB drives to use as boot drives and migrate my boot environment over to them freeing up the large drives for 100% CEPH use. My boot/root was installed as EXT4 (I know, had I used BTRFS I might be able to create a RAID1 and then delete the old device once I migrated off of it).

I presume a reinstall is the easiest but the nodes are clustered into a 3 node cluster.

What is a recommended way to go about this on a one by one basis for all my cluster nodes?

Thanks!

Stuart

Thus, I now wish to obtain some JetFlash (64GB) USB drives to use as boot drives and migrate my boot environment over to them freeing up the large drives for 100% CEPH use.
You shouldn't run PVE on thumb drives or SD cards. Its writing a lot and will kill them quite fast because of cheap NAND and missing wear leveling. USB SSDs or USB HDDs would be fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!