Migrating Hyper-V to Proxmox - what I learned

aroby

Dec 6, 2023
I am just getting to grips with Proxmox, retiring my power hungry server in my basement in favor of a ThinkCentre M910Q. I've been running a few things on Hyper-V for some time now, and don't want to migrate away from the Windows VMs that I have. So, of course, I want to migrate them. There are lots of threads and articles on this (I know - I read many!), but I had to piece together their information to figure out what works. Set out below are the basic steps I followed. I am assuming some basic knowledge here, so didn't detail everything.

1) install the Virtio driver on the Hyper-V VM to be migrated. Also install the correct agent from the guest-agent directory
2) stop the VM on Hyper-V. I didn't have checkpoints / snapshots, but if you do you may need to deal with those.
3) Export the VM to a shared folder accessible via Proxmox
4) Mount the shared folder onto the Proxmox node (e.g. mount -t cifs -o username=<user>,password=<pswd> //hyper-v-host/share /home/vm)
6) Create a VM on Proxmox:

General - supply a name
OS - Do not use any media; Windows guest OS
System - OVMF (UEFI) bios; add an EFI disk; device q35
Disks - leave as default, but set size to 1GB
CPU, memory, network - your choice

Selecting the q35 device turned out to be the solution to my problems of getting the VM to start properly. It didn't solve everything, but was a major piece.

7) Delete the IDE disk on the created VM
8) From the Proxmox host console, import the .vhdx to the new VM:

qm disk import <VM ID> /home/vm/<.vhdx filename> local-lvm

9) On the Proxmox VM Hardware settings double click the Unused Disk 0 (just imported) and add it to the IDE/SATA bus. In Options > Boot Order, select IDE/SATA and move it to the top
10) Also add a 1GB SCSI hard disk. This will be deleted later, its purpose is to get Windows to install the drivers so that the boot drive can be moved from IDE/SATA to SCSI
11) Start the VM. Check in the Windows Device Manager > Disks that there are 2 disk drives (IDE, SCSI) and that the Storage Controllers and USB controllers are active. I encountered resource problems with them, and needed to reboot to clear the exclamation marks.
12) Shutdown and detach the IDE boot drive, re-attach it to SCSI. In Options > Boot Order, select the SCSI drive as the boot device, reboot. There now should be two SCSI disks under Windows Device Manager > Disks. If so, the temporary 1GB SCSI disk can be detached and removed. Removing it prior to re-mounting the boot drive as SCSI caused my blue screen problems.
13) restart to make sure everything is working

This took me a while to figure out, I was continually getting INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screens and went down a rabbit hole of messing with the OVMF BIOS settings. The key pieces to the puzzle were the q35 device and mounting a temporary SCSI drive to get Windows to load the drivers.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone!

I can confirm that as of 8.1.4 this guide works!! I migrated a gen2 hyper-v VM. Thank you so much this saved me a ton of time!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: aroby
You are a legend Sir!

Thank you for this. I have dozens of Hyper-V labs I needed to migrate to Proxmox and was able to do this easily thanks to this guide.

The only change I made was to copy the xyz.vhdx files to tmp on my Proxmox server with SFTP and then import the vhdx from there. That went significantly faster (qm import commend attached).

Thanks again @aroby

Attachments

• 2024-05-04_08-21-37.png
    2024-05-04_08-21-37.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: aroby

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!