[SOLVED] Migrating a VM without moving the disk on NFS storage

Jason2312312

Apr 2, 2024
Hi there,

I have a VM with local storage (SSD) for the OS and NFS storage for storing remote backups, when I want to migrate this VM I don't seem to have an option to specifiy that the NFS disk should remain in place and only the local disk should be moved to the new host. How does Proxmox handle this?

1713042278328.png

1713042294391.png

What does "current layout" mean for the new location? Is there a way to specify a location for each disk of the VM?

I don't seem to have an option to specifiy that the NFS disk should remain in place and only the local disk should be moved to the new host.
You dont need an option for NFS, because, presumably NFS is a shared storage and both Nodes can see it. In that case the data on NFS stays where it is and the VM running on new node just knows that the data is there.

What does "current layout" mean for the new location?
It means move the Disk to the storage pool with the same label as one on source node, ie local-lvm>local-lvm.

Is there a way to specify a location for each disk of the VM?
I believe there is no such functionality today for VM migration

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!