Migrate VMs from one single host to another single host?

lousek

Mar 6, 2012
Hello forum I have a "downgraded' Proxmox cluster (= only one node remaining) with 12 VMs and about 1.5TB data.
As storage I use LVM with raw-devices.
I would like to migrate those VMs to a new Proxmox host with more storage capacity to shutdown the old Proxmox node.
The 2 hosts do NOT share any storage.
Is there an easy way to do this?

I already tried (with another test node) to add it to the old cluster and the use the "Migrate"-function. But this does not work as there is no shared storage.
Also the "Move"-function of the vHDs cannot be used across hosts.

I already thought about to add the new host to the old cluster, add a shared NFS-storage, move vHDs from local storage of old host to NFS-storage and then back to local storage of new host.
But this requires twice copying ...

I think, copying the LVM LVs to new host would be not that difficult (dd if=/dev/mygroup-mylv | ssh 192.168.x.x dd of=/dev/newvgroup-newlv), but how do I get the configuration (including MAC-addresses!) of the VMs to the new host?

BR & thanks lousek

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!