Migrate VM to laptop with QEMU/KVM

karypid

Mar 7, 2021
Hello,

I am a hobbyist using Proxmox on my main system. My desktop is a VM with GPU passthrough. I also have other VMs and one of them is a small (ram/disk) Windows 11 machine.

I need to transfer this machine to my laptop which runs Fedora and only has VirtManager. To that end, I followed these instructions and then imported the VM into Virt Manager.

The good news: it seems to have worked. I can boot the VM on my laptop now and it shows me the login screen.

The bad news: As soon as I login I get a black screen.

The thing is, this seems to be some graphics issue:

• The VM is running fine. If I press shutdown in Virt Manager it invokes an order shutdown.
  • I entered Windows Repair (apparently you do this using "force off" !! twice !! during boot) and selected the good old SAFE MODE I was able to log in and see the Windows desktop (run the file manager, etc) so it seems like indeed this is a graphics issue!
    • I wanted to uninstall the QEMU guest additions but was unable to (it says the installer is unavailable)
  • I then restarted into Windows Repair and selected "Low resolution" mode, hoping that might fix but I logged into a blank screen again...
I know this is not strictly a Proxmox thing, but has anyone successfully migrated a Win11 VM to a regular Linux QEMU/KVM host? I can start over (the VM is still in Proxmox) and follow some other set of instructions.

Or if you have any suggestions on fixing the VM on the Fedora side?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!