Migrate VM to another node AND another storage at sametime.

Gilberto Ferreira

Renowned Member
Hi there
I am facing a strange behavior here.
Have some servers, with different versions, some is pve7 and some is pve8.
But the issue is when try to migrate a VM, sometimes I can choose the target storage but other times the choise even appears at all.
1720809748955.png

1720809788023.png

I just want to know what is the right criteria to do that.
Both VMS above are hosted in local-lvm storage.

Thanks a lot for any help

Last edited:
Yes, "Offline" does not allow to select a different Target storage, while "Online" does.

Not tested, but: it should be enough to start the VM, interrupt it in the probably presented boot menu (or just enter the virtual Bios). In my understanding the KVM/Qemu-process needs to be running - the inner OS inside the VM is not required to be "running"...

Well. I don't know.
This image bellow shows up a VM running in PVE 8.2.4 with the vm disk hosted in directory storage, shared between nodes.
The VM is running and, still, no target storage appears.
The apolo server has zfs pool called apolozfs and the zeus has zeuzfs pool, or something like that.

1720813616831.png

Last edited:
The VM is running and, still, no target storage appears.
Yes, I can confirm this for running VMs, having its disks on Ceph. (I can not verify for NFS.)

But... Ceph is shared (contrary to ZFS/local-LVM/...). For me it does not make any sense to move a VM to another storage during migration, be it online of offline. (I have no idea if there is any technical limitation preventing this.)

Reactions: Gilberto Ferreira
Yes, I can confirm this for running VMs, having its disks on Ceph. (I can not verify for NFS.)

But... Ceph is shared (contrary to ZFS/local-LVM/...). For me it does not make any sense to move a VM to another storage during migration, be it online of offline. (I have no idea if there is any technical limitation preventing this.)
Either make sense or not, the behavior is weird, to say the least.
But would be good to do both things at same time.

But would be good to do both things at same time.
Perhaps.

You may cross check if this topic has been discussed in the bug tracker at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com, it wouldn't be surprising.

If there is nothing: you may create a feature request there. (And please link to it here.) While a lot of staff members invest time here in the forum the official place is over there...

Reactions: Gilberto Ferreira
Perhaps.

You may cross check if this topic has been discussed in the bug tracker at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com, it wouldn't be surprising.

If there is nothing: you may create a feature request there. (And please link to it here.) While a lot of staff members invest time here in the forum the official place is over there...
I will do that.
Thanks for the tip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!