[SOLVED] Migrate ubuntu14.04 VM from xenserver to Proxmox

Jun 26, 2019
Hello,

we are currently migrating some of our existing xenserver clusters to proxmox ve. We did already successfuly migrate a lot of VMs running debian8 and 9 by moving the xenserver disk image to the proxmox host and importing it with "qm importdisk". Main issues where changing device names for disks (xvda -> sda) and interfaces (eth0 -> ans18 on debian9).

However, we are a bit stuck with ubuntu 14.04 VMs at the moment (I know about EOL fo 14.04 but we have to migrate before upgrading). After importing, all ubuntu VMs show the grub menu but after chosing any of the menu entries the vm gets stuck. (screenshot attached).

We tried with different vm configuratoins (scsi / virtio, etc) - always with the same result.

Any ideas about that?

Edit: Proxmox version is 5.4-3

VM configuration:

agent: 0
boot: cdn
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 1
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4001
name: db
net0: virtio=06:0F:BA:75:C6:A3,bridge=vmbr1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-314-disk-0,size=16G
smbios1: uuid=433f6aac-0221-4286-bc17-3863a49c400f
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 6c89a19e-a3bc-4d0c-a86b-f7ab331015d4

Thanks,
Christoph

Attachments

• ubuntu14.png
    ubuntu14.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Did you try to boot an live Linux to check what's on the disk? Maybe there was something wrong.

Thanks for your thoughts. Finally I was able to find the problem: We had a xenserver specific "console=hvc0" in the grub entry. After removing that, the VM was able to boot normally.

Thanks for your thoughts. Finally I was able to find the problem: We had a xenserver specific "console=hvc0" in the grub entry. After removing that, the VM was able to boot normally.
Hi, how edit grub ? Live cd ? I'm using LVM on migrate machine xcp to proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!