Migrate (once only) a VM with it’s passed through GPU? Possible? Bad idea?

MrGeezer

Apr 11, 2022
Hi,

I’ve done a bit of googling and understand that a VM with a passed through PCIe can’t be live migrated. All the discussion I ever see about stopped migration appears to be around having multiple hosts with identical hardware but that’s not what I need to do either.

I have an intel NUC with NVIDIA GPU passed through to a windows guest. Getting it to work was one of the hardest things I ever did but eventually I succeeded and it’s been absolutely flawless for over 2 years.

Am running out of capacity and looking to add hosts and do clustering/HA. I don’t care about the windows VM but I need to move to 10gb networking and with the GPU in the NUC it’s not feasible to add a 10gbe NIC. I have purchased a supermicro motherboard with onboard 10gbe and plenty of PCIE slots so I would like to move the windows VM just one time, along with the GPU, to the new host. It can then stay there forever, I only want to be able to do HA with other VMs.

Is it possible to achieve this? And if so would it be as simple as backup VM, restore to new host and move GPU before power on? And if it’s not that simple, would it be possible to do it without the reconfiguration work being more effort than reinstalling windows on a new VM? My windows license is an OEM that came installed on the NUC so I think I’m already on shaky ground by reusing it on a VM. Would prefer to avoid the hassle of rebuilding the VM but if moving the passed through GPU is as difficult as it was to setup initially I will just have to deal with it.

Has anyone done this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!