Migrate a VM between two Proxmox Cluster

perriot

Jun 14, 2013
Hello,

we have to migrate our VMs between two Proxmox clusters (clusterA/clusterB).
To do it, we will have the same backup storage defined in the 2 clusters.
And we want to do the migration by a backup on the clusterA and a restore on the clusterB.

Firstly, is it the good way to migrate a VM between two clusters ?

Secondly, as we have to do it several times, we want to have an automatic procedure to do it.
About this procedure I have two questions:

Firstly, for the backup we want to use the REST API ( POST /api2/json/nodes/{node}/vzdump )
But how to get the archive file name created with the API ?
For me, the only way seems to be parsing the task logs.
But is there a better solution ? (logs parsing is never a stable solution)

Secondly, I don't find how to do a restore with the REST API.
Did I miss something in the REST API documentation ? ( I use http://pve.proxmox.com/pve2-api-doc/ )
If I can’t do the restore by the REST API, what do you suggest me to do ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Olivier

Firstly, is it the good way to migrate a VM between two clusters ?
Depending on the kind of storage you're using that's probably easier than copying the storage data & configs manually, which is another option.

Secondly, as we have to do it several times, we want to have an automatic procedure to do it
That's +1 for the backup&restore method.

Firstly, for the backup we want to use the REST API ( POST /api2/json/nodes/{node}/vzdump )
But how to get the archive file name created with the API ?
You're right, this is currently an issue. However, the hook scripts do get the filename (via the TARFILE environment variable), so you could let the backup-end hook trigger the next stage of your migration script. (Which is actually nicer than polling the task status for its completion, as it's event-based then :) .) (See /etc/vzdump.conf's script option and the example at /usr/share/doc/pve-manager/examples/vzdump-hook-script.pl for how to use it.)

Secondly, I don't find how to do a restore with the REST API.
Did I miss something in the REST API documentation ?
Shares the same entry as creating a new one: POST to /nodes/{node}/{qemu|lxc} and give it an archive argument in case of qemu, or set the restore flag in case of containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!