Memory usage increase until host crash

terreboo

Jun 20, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have Proxmox 6-2.6 running an OpenMediaVault(OMV) VM which has been assigned 12 cpu cores (2x6), 64GB RAM as well as a HBA card passed through which has a few hdds attached, I also have a second linux bridge attached to the VM for VM-VM networking. The problem Im having is that when I start transfering data to the OMV VM over samba shares the memory usage steadily increases until it hits 100% on the VM according to proxmox and crashes the host. The memory usage reported in the VM never goes over 1-2%. Would I be right in thinking this is some sort of caching? Ive tried several fresh installs of Proxmox and different versions of OMV to no avail. Im happy to provide any logs of more info, Im just not really sure where to go with this, thanks.

I know believe the system crash is due to having two identical HBAs in the system, they both show up as 1000:0087 under "lscpi -nnk" although they are in separate IOMMU groups, if I remove one HBA to another machine and conduct the transfer over wired LAN the VM memory according to proxmox climbs to around 97-98% with no system crash. Moving the second HBA back to the proxmox machine and passing it through to another VM also running OMV causes the system to crash randomly during file transfer.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!