Mapped USB before starting VM causes it not to boot

wheeliebinladin

May 11, 2024
Hi to all.

This is my first thread and i am relatively new (3 months) into using Proxmox.
I have just upgraded to PVE 8.2.4 which i understand to be the latest version, however my problem existed before the upgrade.

My hardware is a Dell Optiplex 7070 I7-9700 with 32gb of ram
Nvme boot drive and 2 backup rust drives (1 sata 1 usb)

I have successfully passed through the IGPU (Intel UHD630) to the Debian12 VM i am having the issue with.
The VM starts and runs normally with no usb devices passed through and i can then add them (USB keyboard, mouse and sound usually) i mostly use mapped devices although have tried the other ways.
With the keyboard and mouse passed through before starting the VM it does not boot or display anything on the passed through GPU.

This is not the case in Windows VMs, and it seems to work fine with my Home Assistant VM also, though i would need to double check that as i don't currently passthrough any devices there.

It leads me to wonder if it is something to do with the IGPU passthrough, although i feel in over my head.

While i am a newbie to Proxmox, I am enjoying the ride so far and hoping someone can point me in the right direction to diagnosing this issue. Apologies for the lack of included information but i am more than happy to share whatever information anyone may require if you tell me what and how

Thanks for reading - Joe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!