[SOLVED] Make Snapshot permanent.

jkohan

Jan 25, 2024
Rosario, Argentina
Hello!. Newbie question (couldn´t find answer in the documentation, nor in a quick search in the forums).
I used a snapshot to test some changes, and be able to return to a stable state in case something goes wrong, on a particullary huge VM. Changes went well.
How do I make the changes permanent and discard the snapshot ? First thougt is to backup and then restore. There is a more direct and quick way ?
Thanks

Hi,
what do you mean by making the changes permanent? You could make a snapshot of the current state and if the old snapshot state is not required anymore delete that one. However, performing a full backup is recommended in any case.

You had a VM in state1, took a snapshot, then continued to work on VM, so now it is in state2. If you dont need the snapshot any more, then just delete the snapshot.
The snapshot is the state1 of VM before any changes.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Yes, I want to remain in state 2. State 1 is not required anymore. So I delete the snapshot and thats it ?

Thank you very much

Yes, I want to remain in state 2. State 1 is not required anymore. So I delete the snapshot and thats it ?
Thats correct. Snapshot is a read-only immutable state of the VM at the time of taking the snapshot. You were not making changes in the snapshot. You saved your state so you could go back to it. Removing the snapshot will remove your ability to go back, but it sounds like you are ok with it at this point.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!